Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Dads, Grandpas, Blacksmiths and Superheroes.....

       
              Ask a young boy who his hero is and 9 times out of 10 you’ll get “my dad” for an answer. Our family moved to Long Island when I was in 2nd grade and like many other boys my age, my Dad was my hero. However, I was lucky enough to have 2 heroes. We also lived with my Grandfather and Grandmother so I spent a lot of time with my Grandpa Nick as well. So much so, we created a special bond which has lasted for eternity. He was a very unique individual, marching to his own beat. For example, on Sunday he would volunteer to drive me to church and religious instructions. On the way there, he would say, “you’re a good boy right? Let’s go to the diner for pancakes instead of church, God will forgive you!” While others may shake their head, I loved it. It was the little things, like going to the movies to see the newest Peter Sellers’ Pink Panther movie when it came out. I would love to hear him laugh; he had the best laugh. Going to work with Dad and Grandpa Nick was the best. What fun. The guys would nail my Grandpa’s work shoes to the floor so he couldn’t get dressed for work. He would retaliate by blowing his nose into their work overalls so the sleeves stuck together when they got dressed. You know fun stuff. (I see those heads shaking again, get over it!) He also taught me how to bet horses. I remember when Grandpa Nick got to work he would look at the newspaper and pick his horses. He would take out some money, write down some names and fold everything up and leave it in the desk drawer. He told me the guy who came in and picked it up was going to the track that day and would place the bets for him. Yeah right! This was my introduction to bookmakers. Sometimes, he would roll up a piece of paper with money and tell me to bring it to the luncheonette on the corner and hand it to the old lady sitting at the back table. I would walk up the street and as I walked into the store, there would be an older, overweight woman sitting alone at a table in a darkened corner. Thick cigarette smoke and the best R&B music filled the air. It was a place you just wanted to hang out at for the day. The people were like characters in a movie. It was so cool. I later figured out she was running numbers. From there I learned from my Dad how to bet football and what a point-spread was. Yeah, I wouldn’t trade that education for anything in the world.
            Getting back to the horses, this is where it gets interesting. Like most kids, I finally decided to ask my Dad what he did for a living. His response shocked me. He said he and Grandpa were blacksmiths. Naturally, I laughed. How could they be blacksmiths? I’ve never seen them make a horseshoe or even seen a horse in the area. And then he showed me.
My Dad told me that my Grandpa taught him how to work with iron and fire and shape metal and bend steel. One day, Grandpa Nick took a rag and wrapped it around his arm. He took a piece of freshly shaped iron from a leaf spring and placed it between two anvils. Down he came with a chop and split the iron in half. I was shocked. Yeah, Grandpa looked powerful; a short barrel-chested man with big arms and even bigger forearms but breaking steel? He was now not just a hero but a Super Hero. He would heat the iron in the forge, take it out and place it in a machine and then using his body as leverage, bend the iron. It was remarkable. Then I watched my Dad do the same thing and realized these men were amazing! People brought their cars to them with broken springs and they would bend iron, make new ones and put them on their cars.
            As I grew older, I still loved to go to work with them, even throughout my high school years. They wanted to teach me to bend steel and twist iron but I couldn’t afford to have my hands smashed with a hammer or burned in a forge. I was playing guitar at this point and making my money in bands so my hands were important to me. They used to laugh as I wore gloves to do everything and washed my hands like a surgeon, twenty to thirty times a day when I worked in the shop. I was glad I could keep them amused.
            What’s funny is that as I thought about writing this story, I did some research on blacksmiths and it only added to their legend! It seems that history and mythology shows a connection between blacksmiths, magic and the supernatural. According to Sacred-Texts.com, Vulcan, the Roman God of Fire, (Hephaestus of Greek mythology) is the patron of metal workers and blacksmiths. According to tradition, the forges he used were Earth’s volcanoes and in his Olympus workshop, he and his artisans created Hercules shield, Neptune’s Trident, and Pluto’s Helmet. In addition, according to legend, Thor’s hammer was forged by Dwarven blacksmiths. This is pretty cool stuff. Even today, in Africa, blacksmiths are seen as priests or medicine-men, and are considered chief personage in the community. Furthermore, in different portions of Africa metal-workers as a class are seen as superior beings (Sacred-Text.com). Since ancient times, blacksmiths have been linked to magic, due to their power to make metal from barren rocks (lifepaths360.com). Legends and lore regarding blacksmiths have made it all the way to modern times as evidenced by those of us who use a horseshoe as a good luck charm for example.
            Yes, it seems that my assertions about Grandpa Nick and Dad were not far-fetched at all. They truly will remain Super Heroes in my eyes, capable of great feats of strength and magic. And yes, while all of this may be a bit tongue in cheek, there is that basis of truth and the will to believe. I know for that 8 year old boy watching his Grandpa Nick split that piece of iron in two, the feeling of awe and amazement was very real and frankly still is. And go ahead; ask my Dad what he thinks. I think he’ll agree with me. After all, I remember when my Grandpa passed away; my Dad spent days crying like a baby. I believe it was not only because he had lost the only real father he had ever known, but like me, he had also lost his Super Hero too…….
I think about you every day and love you Grandpa Nick!!!   

References
Blacksmiths Credited With Supernatural Attributes (n.d.).  Retrieved June 26, 2014, from http://www.sacred-texts.com/etc/mhs/mhs10.htm

Peel, J. (2008, March 3). Ancient Magic and Power of Blacksmith Charms. . Retrieved June 26, 2014, from http://www.lifepaths360.com/index.php/ancient-magic-and-power-of-blacksmith-charms-16770/

No comments:

Post a Comment